Block Printing Centers in India
- Gujarat: Dhamadka village, Bhavnagar, Vasna, Rajkot, Jamnagar, Jetpur and Porbandar. Popular designs are geometric, black and red designs of birds, animals, and dancing girls, mango patterns. The artisans use natural colors such as red from the madder root, black from a rusty iron solution and blue from indigo. A famous print of Gujarat is Ajrakh.
- Rajasthan: From Gujarat, the art of block printing spread to Rajasthan. Here colorful prints of birds, animals, human figures, gods and goddesses are popular. The important centers are Jaipur, Bangru, Sanganer, Pali and Barmer.
- Punjab: The designs by Punjab craftsmen are usually floral and geometrical. Today, traditional designs have been displaced, and vegetable dyes have been replaced by chemical ones. The colors are light and pastel. The motifs are usually mangoes, peacocks and nets.
- West Bengal: In West Bengal, Serampur is the center of block printing. It is well-known for its bold and vibrant patterns.
- Andhra Pradesh: In Andhra Pradesh, the block printing method is applied in the creation of the exquisite Kalamkari Painting. It is a combination of hand painting and block printing.
- Block Printing in India is also practiced in the states of Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh and Maharashtra.
Block Printing Designs
|Ajrakh Prints of Gujarat|
|Bagru Block Print of Rajasthan|
|sanganer block print|